As you walk along the docks, you will discover the traditional small fishing boats, known as “pointed” boats. They are the charm of Sanary-sur-Mer and many visitors come to observe these colourful wooden boats sometimes having surprising names.
In the early morning, when the weather is mild, the fishermen return to port to sell the fish products. You will find a wide variety of fish.
The traditional market is held every morning in the Estienne d’Orves alleys.
The large Wednesday market, which won the “Most Beautiful Market in France” award in 2018, is held along the port of Sanary-sur-Mer and welcomes many visitors.
In the pedestrian streets of the city centre, you will discover various shops, craft shops and art galleries.
Sanary-sur-Mer has become one of the strongholds for shopping enthusiasts.
The neo-Byzantine façade of the Saint-Nazaire church faces the port. It marks the starting point for the ascents of the oratories (or “Way of the Cross”). The point of view is remarkable.
Notre Dame de la Pitié nestles on the top of the Portissol hill. It also offers a magnificent view of Sanary-sur-Mer and the surrounding area.
- Golden beach called « Plage dorée »
- Beach of la Gorguette
- Cousse Bay
Between land and sea, on the coastal path, discover beautiful walks, magnificent views and beautiful wooded areas:
- Underwater trail
- Pointe de la Cride
- Walks in the Provençal hills: Le Gros Cerveau, big hiking and botanical trails…
Maritime activities animate Sanary-sur-Mer on sunny days. :
- Sea trip for coastal visits
- Calanques de Cassis, de Marseille
- Embiez Island, Bendor Island
- Porquerolles Island, Port Cros Island
- Observation of large cetaceans and dolphins….
Water activities :
- Sailing and diving schools
- Big-game fishing
- Boat and jet ski rental
- Windsurfing, paddling, kayaking….
- Children’s games: riding arena, mini golf, mini Kart, skate park
- Petanque ground
- Animal and exotic park ZOA
- Mediterranean Park la Coudoulière….
What to do in Sanary-sur-Mer?
Discover the village in a new light during traditional festivities.
During the mild evenings of July and August, the alleys of Sanary-sur-Mer come alive and the port hosts a magnificent night market where craftsmen/women propose their creations.
Throughout the year, workshops, concerts, festivals and many other events are held in the small town of Sanary-sur-Mer!